Language Learning Tip: Don’t Forget to “Play the Language” 不忘記「玩語言」

前天我去看 Hans Zimmer 的表演
The day before yesterday, I went to see Hans Zimmer perform.

很幸運的能去看他和他的團隊表演
I felt very lucky to see him and his team perform live.

太精彩了
It was amazing.

我雖然不是音樂家,但是覺得也被他們的音樂感染到
Even though I’m not a musician, I could still feel how powerful their music was.

他們好樂在其中
You could really see how much they were enjoying it.

那個晚上 Hans Zimmer 說的一句話觸動到我

That evening, one thing Hans Zimmer said really struck me.

Hans Zimmer 說
Hans Zimmer said,

"If you just start to learn an instrument, please be sure to play it.
「如果你剛開始學一個樂器,拜託一定要去玩它。

PLAY it and have fun."

好好的玩、去享受。

我也好有同感,好喜歡他說的這句話
I felt the same way. I really loved what he said.

玩音樂
​ Play music.

你就是要玩它啊
You’re supposed to play it.

以前小時候我們玩得好開心,怎麼長大就忘了
When we were kids, we played so happily. Somehow when we grow up, we forget.

我們有太多責任了,不知不覺忘記玩它了
As adults we have so many responsibilities that, without realizing it, we forget how to play.

我想跟所有正在學臺灣華語的朋友說
I want to say something to all of you who are learning Taiwanese Mandarin.

學臺灣華語也是一樣喔!
The same idea applies when learning Taiwanese Mandarin too!

記得放鬆、好好的享受學中文的樂趣
Remember to relax and truly enjoy the fun of learning Chinese.

以前我大學最喜歡的一門課就是語言習得
When I was in university, my favorite class was language acquisition.

書裡面有一段讓我印象深刻
There was one idea that left a deep impression on me in a book.

它說大人怕丟臉,怕犯錯

Adults are often afraid of embarrassment and afraid of making mistakes,

所以學語言常常學得比小孩差

so they sometimes learn languages less effectively than children.

但是喝酒之後就不一樣了,比較放鬆
But after drinking alcohol, things become different. People relax more.

比較敢講,不怕說錯
They dare to speak more and are less afraid of making mistakes.

特別是喝醉之後,真的突然瞬間變流利
Especially when they’re drunk, suddenly they become fluent!

哈哈
Haha.

這件事情我真的做過實驗
I actually tested this idea myself.

我剛來法國的時候每個禮拜四會去酒吧做語言交換
When I first arrived in France, I went to a bar every Thursday for language exchange.

大家都好開心、放鬆,燈光昏暗
Everyone was happy and relaxed, and the lights were dim.

又是站著流動的,所以可以跟任何人說話
People were standing and moving around, so you could talk to anyone.

那個真的是很棒的體驗
It was truly a wonderful experience.

(當然也有一些很奇怪的經驗

Of course, there were some really WEIRD experiences too:))

成為大人之後我們只想學得快一點,我完全同意
After becoming adults, we just want to learn faster — and I completely agree.

但是忘了去玩語言
But we forget to play with the language.

不是要鼓勵你們去喝酒、喝醉喔
I’m not encouraging you to drink or get drunk!

我想跟你們說,放鬆心情,好好享受
What I want to say is: relax and enjoy the process.

我們在放鬆的時候,效果通常是最好的
When we’re relaxed, the results are usually the best.

我完全同意學語言有效率、有目標,非常重要
I completely agree that learning efficiently and having clear goals is very important.

我的意思是,當你已經有目標了,不要忘記去「玩」它
What I mean is, once you have a goal, don’t forget to play with it.

用中文開玩笑
Make jokes in Mandarin.

用語言去談戀愛
Flirt in the language.

自言自語
Talk to yourself.

跟各式各樣的人講話

Talk to all sorts of people

想像自己是臺劇裡面的角色

Imagine you're the characters in Taiwanese dramas

學他們講話的方式

copy how they speak

去犯錯,去玩玩看
Make mistakes and just play with it.

用放鬆的心情學,通常會學得比較快
When you learn with a relaxed mindset, you often learn faster.

這篇也是寫給我自己的
This message is also for myself.

我覺得很棒的是,我跟心中的內在小孩有了連結

What I find amazing is- I get to connect with my inner child

反正,放鬆,去玩玩看
Anyway, relax, and go play with it.

玩語言
Play the language

;)

life is too short!

人生苦短

🎵
​ P.S.

Many of you shared with me that

很多人跟我說

you don't feel confident enough in speaking, you feel stuck in conversation,

你們覺得在講中文的時候不夠有自信,覺得卡住了

很快的我會開放互動小班,
Soon I’ll run a small interactive class called

Speak Taiwanese Mandarin Premier Coaching Circle.

細節之後再跟你們分享

I’ll share more details with you later.

到時候希望跟你們一起練習、一起「玩」中文
I hope we can practice and "play" Mandarin together.

Next
Next

“Spring Has a Stepmother’s Heart” 春天後母心: A Taiwanese Phrase for Unpredictable Spring Weather. But Is It Still Appropriate Today?